Graduating or Leaving
Students who are graduating or otherwise separating from Caltech are required to complete the below Three-Step Online Exit Process in order to close the Student Bursar Account and to meet loan requirement obligations if applicable.
The Three-Step Online Process
Complete the Exit Compliance Form below:
If you received any loans, you will also need to complete the online exit counseling in addition to the Exit Compliance Form, at the appropriate links below:
For Loan Type 1 (Federal Perkins, Caltech, or Institute loans):
- Go to https://heartland.ecsi.net/
- Click on the "Sign In" button at the top of the page.
- You may need to connect your account to your profile. To do so, click on the "Connect An Account" button. You will need your Heartland Key. Once connected, it will be redirected to your account.
- To complete the Exit Interview, click to select the school's name, then click "View Account" button.
- Your Exit Interview will be listed under the documents tab.
- Complete the exit interview and print the confirmation email.
If you have any questions, please contact Heartland ECSI Customer Service at https://heartland.ecsi.net/index.main.html#/contactus
For Loan Type 2 (Stafford Subsidized or Stafford Unsubsidized loans):
- Go to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) Student Access page to create a user ID if you do not already have one.
- Go to StudentLoans.gov and enter your user ID in the log in the box on the upper right corner of the page.
- Select the link to Complete Exit Counseling.
- Complete the process and print the confirmation email.
For Loan Type 3 (Emergency Loan, NGSS Loan, or Leap Loan) no exit counseling forms are required.
Submit the Exit Compliance Form, and the printed loan confirmation emails if you have any loans, to the Bursar's Office and clear any remaining balance due before you leave Caltech. If your balance is not paid in full by the time you leave Caltech, your diploma and transcript will be held until the account is satisfied. Forms may be submitted by email to BursarDocuments@caltech.edu, by fax to (626) 304-0883, or by bringing them in person to the Bursar's Office. For questions please contact the Bursar's Office at (626) 395-2988.